Dental implants are an amazing invention of the dental world and have helped many people regain a beautiful healthy smile while also maintaining good oral health and wellbeing. If you have been on the fence about whether or not dental implants are right for you to consider these ten reasons why they may be the very thing you have been looking for to regain your quality of life again.
1) Improved Appearance: Dental implants are used to replace missing teeth and to support larger prosthetics like dentures and partials. They are more natural than removable dentures in appearance and thus offer a more attractive smile. They look and feel like natural teeth which makes them easier to get used to. Since implants fuse to bone, they cannot be removed so there is no concern about them slipping out of place or falling out like with regular dentures.
2) Improved Confidence: Removable dentures can be too big and slide around and come loose, which can lead to some very embarrassing situations. With dental implants, other dental devices are more secure and a person can feel confident in the fact that their teeth will not move. Pretty much all of your normal everyday activities can be performed with no embarrassment and fear- eating, talking, exercising, smiling, laughing, and enjoying life like you are meant to.
3) Comfort and Convenience: Removable dentures often rub if they are too loose and can cause sores on the gums if they are too tight. With a dental implant, you do not have to worry about sore spots. Once you have healed from the surgery to place the implant there are no injuries to worry about because the implant is firmly held in place. Dentures need messy adhesives t keep them in place and they never fit quite right, just one more thing you don’t have to worry about with implants.
4) Durability: Implants are made to look and feel like your natural teeth and they are also made to be just as strong. Dental implants have a high rate of success and are durable enough to last for many, many years. For most patients, so long as they take care of them properly and follow the good routine oral care, their implants can last a lifetime. This is why getting implants is often a smart move and a good investment in your long-term oral health and wellbeing.
5) Improved Eating: Another way dental implants can help you have a happier life is that you can enjoy eating once again. When you are missing teeth it can be hard to enjoy your favorite foods, and when you are in pain because of damaged teeth, eating can be no fun at all. A prosthesis supported by dental implants functions like natural teeth making eating an enjoyable and easy experience. Implants allow you to do the things you used to do without pain and worry.
6) Improved Taste: Most full dentures cover the root of your mouth and this can make eating a bit of a challenge. Not only is it hard to chew your food without the sensation from the roof of your mouth, your food is more difficult to taste and enjoy. Thanks to dental advances like dental implants and associated prosthetics, the roof of the mouth is not covered. This means eating is easier and you can taste the food you are eating more fully.
7) Improved Nutrition and Health: Dentures are not made for certain foods like corn on the cob. When you are missing teeth anything requiring a lot of biting and chewing can be a challenge. With dental implants and various implant-supported devices, it is much easier to eat a varied, healthy diet that includes all the vitamins and nutrients you need to stay healthy. You can once again enjoy raw carrots, whole apples, corn on the cob, and different meats.
8) Improved Speech: Removable dentures often leave wearers with a lisp or a slur to their words, even after years of wearing the devices. If you are missing teeth and don’t take care of them, the surrounding teeth can shift out of place, affecting the alignment and your speech as well. With dental implants, normal speech is usually not a problem once you are fully healed. Implants feel like normal teeth so there is no need to re-learn how to talk with them.
9) Reduced Chance of Loss: A convenient as they are, removable dentures can be easily lost. They can also be damaged when they are taken out. When this occurs, the user is left in a difficult position of nothing having a full set of teeth until the dentures are found or can be replaced. Dental implants cannot be removed and misplaced. They are a permanent part of your mouth and will not ever go missing on you when you need them the most.
10) Bone Growth: One of the most devastating yet relatively unknown problems for patients wearing removable dentures as to deal with bone loss. Over time, the bone of your jaw begins to deteriorate since there are no teeth anchored in it anymore. Gradually removable dentures become more difficult to wear because of this bone loss. You do not have to worry about bone loss with implants because they stimulate the jaw bone and help keep it strong and supported.
To learn more about what dental implants can do for you or if you have questions about if you are a good candidate for these miracle prosthetics, contact us today! At Forest City Dental, we are committed to helping all of our patients get the best dental care they can. We will help you find the solutions that are right for your dental needs. So, call today and set up a free consultation appointment with our friendly and knowledgeable staff!